Friday, June 26, 2015

Shaking Down the Highway with Positive Assumptions


Vasquez Rocks, CA
During a trip to Los Angeles, I rented an SUV from Fox Rental Cars. The drive to my destination was about two hours. By the time I got there, I could tell something was wrong with the steering. It wasn’t bad enough to make the driving dangerous. There was just an unusual shakiness which was very annoying.

I only needed the car for a week. Even though I knew I could change to another vehicle, I didn’t want to waste my limited time driving back downtown. In L.A. traffic, going back and forth would have taken half a day. 

My shoulder started to ache on the second day and the pain got progressively worse. I’ve had considerable experience with pain and it soon got to a point where I literally could not shrug it off. I obviously needed another vehicle. When I called Fox, the service rep told me, “No problem. We’ll get another vehicle out to your address and pick up the one you have.”

I had assumed that I would have to blow several hours driving to the city in legendary L.A. traffic, changing out the vehicle, and then fighting the traffic a second time driving back. Instead, a vehicle was delivered to my door in a matter of hours. All I had to do was ask.

Anticipation isn’t always a good thing. When making a negative assumption, if at all possible, test it. You might find out you’re wrong.

Can you think of a time when you had negative anticipation and got what you expected? Can you see the value in having positive assumptions? Leave a message in the comments section.

If you liked this post, you might also like some of Danny's ebooks. Check them out on his Amazon page. 

If you found this post helpful, share it with your colleagues and friends. The sharing buttons are below.

More articles on Positive Thinking

Habitual Optimism

The Mind Garden

Positive Mindset

No comments:

Post a Comment